JOIN THE STATEWIDE CALL! NCEDSV is bringing people together to create educational materials to bring awareness to and discuss strategies to prevent sexual assault of individuals with developmental disabilities. We are hosting two statewide virtual meetings on Thursday, June 27, to introduce the issues facing individuals with developmental disabilities who may be struggling in unhealthy relationships and may be vulnerable to sexual assault.
Our goal is to create an advisory committee that will be meeting monthly until September 2019 to help guide the project development focusing on prevention, supporting survivors, improving access to services, and identifying and enhancing available resources.
WHAT: Join the Statewide Virtual Meeting
WHEN: Thursday, June 27, 2019 (Choose one option that works for your schedule)
- Parents & Guardians of Youth (ages 12-24) with Developmental Disabilities;
- Self-advocates; and
- Direct Service Providers
- The issue of sexual violence as it impacts individuals with developmental disabilities;
- What makes individuals with developmental disabilities more vulnerable to sexual violence;
- How can sexual violence be prevented by taking measures to empower individuals with intellectual disabilities and improve access to services that are designed to meet their unique needs; and
- Identify what resources are currently available and what additional information/resources are needed by parents and guardians, self-advocates, and support staff on how to recognize unhealthy, abusive relationships as well as knowing what constitutes healthy, consensual relationships.
An Open Forum 60 min. As a group we will be determining not only the content of these educational materials, but also what format would work best for parents and guardians, self-advocates, and support staff and then discuss the process for developing these educational materials. To meet this goal, we need you to help us with this project and give us ongoing feedback through the developmental phase. Your commitment involves your active participation by attending monthly virtual meetings until September 30.